Filtration using mineral processing aids provides a high degree of flexibility and an ease of processing which is suitable for all types of liquids and solid impurities removal. Today it is the reference technology in many industrial sectors, such as:
- Agro-food and beverage industries for the clarification after extraction, hydrolysis, pressing or fermentation of organic material of vegetable origin.
- Automotive and metallurgy for the filtration of metalworking fluids, such as cutting and rolling oils.
- Chemicals for the filtration of organic and inorganic chemical intermediates.
- Pharmaceuticals for the filtration of antibiotics and other active ingredients.
Chemviron – Europe’s leading Filter Aid Producer
Chemviron is Europe’s leading producer of filter aids and has extensive expertise gained over several decades of working across a diverse field of applications. The raw material used in the production of Chemviron diatomaceous earth filter aids are taken from our own quarries near Saint-Bauzile and Riom-ès-Montagnes which provides long term raw material reserves to support our product supply.
Chemviron provides a comprehensive range of filter aids which are used as processing aids across a number of industrial processes and cover a wide range of permeabilities. Chemviron mineral filter aids come in many forms and types as indicated below:
Diatomaceous Earth & Perlite
Diatomite, is the skeletal remains of single-celled algae, called diatoms, whose cellulose membrane has the capability of extracting silica from water. Over millennia, the skeletal remains of diatoms built up and formed huge diatomite deposits. This lightweight and porous rock obtained from the fossilization of diatoms is the raw material of the Chemviron products.
Following process treatment in our plants, diatomite forms a highly porous white (flux calcined DE) or pink (calcined DE) powder, which is marketed under the trade name Clarcel®. These versions are called diatomaceous earth (DE) or kieselguhr.
Perlite ore is a silica rock of volcanic origin that contains fine water droplets which is expanded at high temperature, then crushed and graded to a powder or fine granules which form the basis of our Randalite® and Randafil™ product ranges.
Highly Controlled Production Processes
The Clarcel® and Randalite® product ranges are suitable for all types of precoat filters such as roughing filtration on rotary filters and filter presses or fine filtration and polishing filtration on frame and candle filters. The excellent porosity imparted by our filter aid products to the filter cakes helps extend the treatment cycles while ensuring optimum clarification.
The Chemviron production process involves high temperature treatment which provides a high degree of chemical inertness with particular attention being paid to the purity of our products. The process involves strict quality control to ensure compliance with stringent specifications and provide the high performance of the Clarcel® and Randalite® filter aids.
The permeability of our products is controlled in real time with systematic control on other characteristics such as cake density, particle size distribution and chemical analysis for the most sensitive applications. With a high involvement in the food industry, Chemviron ensures full traceability of its products, from selection of the ore to the filter aid’s packaging.
The finest fractions of Chemviron diatomaceous earth and perlite products can be used as functional mineral additives in many applications. These include paint and coatings, the plastics industry and in paper manufacture.
The outstanding properties of Chemviron’s diatomaceous earth and perlite give them exceptional functional properties, over and above their role in filtration applications. They are graded and selected on the basis of their particle size and whiteness and their particle size ranges are particularly suited to both waterborne and solvent-based paint formulations.
Chemviron’s functional additives impart a matte look to the paint, extend its lifetime, and improve its application qualities.
The Chemviron diatomaceous earth Clarcel® and perlite Randafil™ products are also used in polyethylene film manufacture as ‘antiblocking' agents as well as to enhance the mechanical properties of certain polymers.
In the paper industry, they improve the printability of paper, and are used as dispersing agents and opacifying agents.
The purity and high porosity of Chemviron’s diatomaceous earth and perlite also make them high grade ingredients for the manufacture of dental impressions.
Why Choose Chemviron as your Filter Aid Technology Provider?
Chemviron is Europe’s leading producer of filter aids in the form of diatomaceous earth and perlite which uniquely positions Chemviron to select the best product and solution for your application.
Over its history, Chemviron has developed extensive in-house expertise and experience to develop innovative solutions for new manufacturing processes to provide a comprehensive treatment solution.
- Technical support to advise on the appropriate filter aid solution for the application – contact a representative to learn more.
- Provision of laboratory-scale testing equipment, or on-site testing with fresh production liquid to efficiently guide on the most appropriate filter aid to ensure the most appropriate balance between level of clarification, filtration cycle length and dosing rate.
- The Chemviron filter aid products are highly efficient with porosity conducive to excellent clarification and low-compressibility cakes for longer filtration cycles.
- They are reliable with stable characteristics for permeability, cake density and particle size and they are a tried and tested, easy-to use technology.
- They are versatile for the treatment of liquids with varied and fluctuating characteristics.
- They are economical as this is a low-energy filtration process compared to other separation technologies.
- The Chemviron filter aid products are safe chemically inert products with no ATEX requirements during use.
- The Chemviron filter aid products are readily available in Europe with deliveries of final product directly available from our two factories in France for DE and one in Italy for Perlite.